Holy Angels The Great Journey
- The Great Journey Begins 1947 Through a call to serve from Bishop Greco to Mother General Zita Verni in Romagna, Italy asking if she had some Sisters to “spare” who could come to Moreauville, LA. Mother Zita and 13 Sisters landed in New York harbor on October 21, 1947.
- February 1954 Bishop Greco accomplished his personal dream to establish a school for children with disabilities in Clarks, LA. Sister Concetta Scipione arrived July 26, 1959 in Clarks, Louisiana.
- 1963 Messrs. O’Brien, Pollard and Gilster donated forty-four acres to the Catholic Diocese for the establishment of Holy Angels.
- August 2, 1965 The first buildings on the Holy Angels’ campus were completed. These buildings included an administrative building, community quarters for the staff, two dormitories (one for girls and one for boys), a cafeteria and vocational therapy building to house a sewing room, beauty shop, arts, crafts and woodworking shop, study room for academic studies, music room, and home economics kitchen and dining room.
Bishop Charles P. Greco
- December 5, 1965 On a crisp, sunny day, Sister Concetta Scipione and thirty-five children arrived at Holy Angels from St. Mary’s by chartered bus.
- June 28, 1968 The nursery for babies opened with fifteen little ones that were transferred to Holy Angels from St. Mary’s in Clarks, LA. They arrived at Holy Angels with Sister Joan Poudrier and several parents just in time for lunch.
Sr. Concetta Scipione and Sr. Zita Renzi
- September 27, 1981 Mr. Andrew F. Stasio fulfills his dream to create a special event to benefit Holy Angels with the first “Taste of Shreveport”. The Shreveport Knights of Columbus volunteered in support of Holy Angels.
- January 20, 1987 Bishop Charles P. Greco passes away. Bishop Greco was greatly missed because of his courage and support.
- 1995 St Michael’s Group Home was built to transition young children from the Nursery to a group home that was designed to accommodate the special needs of the younger children.
- 2006 Holy Angels transitioned to an independent 501(c)(3) focused on sustaining Bishop Greco’s and Our Lady of Sorrows’ original mission.
Sr. Gemma Forlani, Laurie Boswell, CEO, and Sr. Concetta Scipione
- December 2009 Sister Concetta announces her retirement.
- January 2010 Laurie Boswell is selected to serve as CEO
- February 2010 AngelWorks Day Program was a Louisiana Finalist in Social Innovators Business Plan Competition held in New Orleans
- February 2011 The Horticulture Enterprise opens with vermicomposting
- 2012 Angel University opens
- April 2012 The grand opening of the David Toms Foundation AngelWorks Gift Shop and the AdvoCare Conservatory.
- 2014 The first residents begin to work in community integrated jobs
- February 2015 Madonna Hall has complete renovations
- October 2015 Holy Angels celebrates in its 50th anniversary
- December 2015 The first Holy Angels’ residents graduate from college