In 1947, Bishop Greco called for help to provide a better life for individuals with disabilities in Louisiana. By October of that year, Mother General Zita Verni and thirteen Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows arrived from Romagna, Italy, and the journey began. By 1954, Bishop Greco and the Sisters opened a school for children with disabilities in Clarks, Louisiana.
In 1963, three local, prominent families of Shreveport, Louisiana, the Pollards, the Gilsters and the O’Briens, donated 64 acres to the Catholic Diocese for the purpose of establishing Holy Angels. By 1965 the first buildings were constructed, and 35 children arrived at Holy Angels. In 1968 the nursery was completed, and 15 “little angels” arrived. Support from the community and the families of clients fueled the growth of Holy Angels, and in 2006, Holy Angels transitioned to an independent 501(c) (3) focused on sustaining Bishop Greco’s and Our Lady of Sorrows’ mission.
In 2012, Holy Angels was awarded a day program license, expanding its mission to adults in the community who await an opportunity for meaningful work. AngelWorks Day Program provides participants jobs in culinary arts, business services, horticulture and creative arts.
Today, Holy Angels is an independent licensed residential training facility, serving approximately 185 individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities whose ages range from newborn to older adults primarily from Louisiana and Texas. However, Holy Angels serves individuals from more than 15 states.
Holy Angels provides clients opportunities to live in the most independent settings in homes integrated in the community. In addition, individuals with behavior or medical needs are served on our beautiful campus in specialized programs.